Twitter Takeaway

Thursday 22 February 2007

RSS Feeds of All My Favourite Food Blogs

It’s been slow at work this week….so yesterday I had time to set up my Google RSS Reader so that I can read what’s new in my favourite food blogs everyday. There are so many great food blogs out there! I wish I had more time to cook! I know we eat out a lot, I should make a conscious effort to cook more, go to the market more and actually use the cookbooks that I continuously buy.


Google Reader


After reading these great food blog, I’ve been thinking about what I want out of my own blog and what messages I want to convey. Isn’t blogging nowadays about seeing the world through other’s eyes and escaping just a little to indulge in the things we love. I get it, I get it…. But is my life that interesting to record and share? I can see some people RSSing this website… will this stop them from RSSing this website in the future if I change the purpose from purely recording experience in a restaurant to more "A day in the life of..."? I guess I won’t know until I try….At the end of the day, this blog is for me…. I should make the most out of it… So here goes….

I read Tummy Rumbles yesterday after successfully set up my Google Reader and decided that I would head out to Don Don today to try the Sashi Don recommended. It's great to have a Melbourne sight to reference! The Sashi Don really is a well balanced donburi, with yummy slices of salmon, lots of vegetables, pickled cucmber, pickled ginger and shredded sweet abura-age.


Sashi Don at Don Don


The salmon was fresh and delicious, picked vegetables were great, shredded sweet aburaage surprisingly went really well with the salmon and soya sauce! My friend had the lunch bento which looked really good as well. Unfortunately, it was a hot day today and inside Don Don was hot and stuffy.. It became more bearable after I had my chilled orange juice. Looks like it’s going to be 30C tomorrow. HELP!! We got thrown out after hogging the table too long. Oops! Chit-chatting away about business opportunities and what we wanted to do with our lives, our lunchtime just passed away so quickly.

Another interesting development... Yesterday, Anna introduced me to Zingara Cucina, which is a restaurant but not a restaurant. This I have to try! The place, menu and time are not set…you just turn up and enjoy your food.. Interesting concept… Around the world, the movement is called Ghetto Gourmet or Speak Easy dining experience.

M and I have been to something similar in Hong Kong. They call them Private Kitchens. We went to Xi Yan, which is a residential apartment turned into a three-banquet-table restaurant. It doesn’t have a liquor license, so you will need to BYO. The food is really interesting, but only half of the dishes I found extraordinary. Stil it is an experience to have at least once. If I was to go to another private kitchen in Hong Kong, I want to go to Club Qing.

23/03/07 Update: A few days ago, I wrote to Zingara Cucina requesting a booking. Unfortunately they are only taking bookings from people who have been recommended... Oh well... someone recommend us!

Don Don
321 Swanston Walk
Melbourne
03 9662 3377

No comments: